Top Art Apps for Sketching, Painting and Applying Painterly Effects
Turn your iPad or iPhone into the ultimate digital studio with the most powerful and versatile apps available for artists on the go. Discover the best painting tools for both professionals and hobbyists. Artsy techniques and apps both for painting and for applying painterly effects. Apps that will save your images at high resolution and are regularly updated by their developers.
7 exceptional iPad apps for expressing yourself artistically with your iPad.
This list was updated on Monday, July 9, 2013.
This digital painting app for the iPad is easy to use and extremely powerful.
Work naturally and fluidly with beautiful customisable brushes, including natural media sets of pencils, charcoal, inks, oil, watercolor, spraypaint, airbrushing, abstract, textures and unique digital tools.
Procreate offers exceptional performance. It's extremely responsive, precise and fast and automatically saves your art work in the background while you paint. Blend colours together with the built in Smudge tool and watch each stroke blend, decay, and even smudge in realtime. Paint organically in a minimalist interface that stays out of your way and easily export your artwork as a layered Adobe Photoshop PSD file.
Procreate is available for the iPad.
Completely original modernist painting suite for abstract, geometric, digital art.
Start with a clean canvas or import your own photo to paint over it. Pick a palette or sample colours from your imported image. Work with a diverse collection of unconventional, geometric and adjustable brushes and presets. Experimental and contemporary.
Deco Sketch revolutionizes the possibilities of iPhoneography and tablet art.
Deco Sketch is compatible with iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android and Nook.
Tayasui Sketchesis a groundbreaking digital sketchbook for drawing, doodling, painting and sketching. Powerful and expressive inks and natural colour mixing. Smooth and natural brushes and pen tools. Superb watercolour effects with wet-in-wet washes and blending.
Perfect for everything from note taking to quick architectural sketches, cartoon, illustration and watercolor painting served to you in an elegant, zen-like interface.
Pro Mode brings you additional drawing tools as an in-app purchase.
Tayasui Sketches is available for the iPad.
Apps For Painterly Effects
Choose between a wide variety of painterly effects to apply the look of an oil or acrylics painting, with the texture of thick paint strokes of paint. Enter the Workshop by clicking on the button with a hammer and wrench to generate a random effect or create your own unique styles.
Glazing is a painting technique where you apply translucent layers of paint that produce delicate and subtle shifts in colour, and unify a painting. In digital art, applying a thin layer of texture or colour plays the same role. Try blending your Glaze painting with your original image for a more subtle and natural painting look.
Glaze is available for the iPod, iPhone and iPad.
With Aquarella you can transform your photo into a watercolour painting with the characteristics of a watercolour:
- Add a beautiful wash of diluted paint that produces a unified area of colour.
- Emulate the wet in wet technique with the characteristic blooms or backruns, that are produced when you add more paint or water into an area as it dries, or by blotting a part of the painting causing the wetter surrounding areas to spread into it.
- Control the wet edge detail and strength.
- Use different types of watercolour paper.
- Choose between numerous tweakable presets or randomise the output to see what you get.
Aquarella is available for the iPhone, iPad, Windows and Mac.
Turn your image into a watercolor illustration with the graphic look of a woodblock printing.
Mix flavours (=colours) and add black, Indian ink outlines. Control how much colour you want on your image, and how you want the colour to blend and bleed. Enhance to bring out more details and accent your image.
Popsicolor creates drips when you hold your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch upright while it's working. Turn the drip-effect off by keeping your device flat (face up) while Popsicolor is working.
Popsicolor is available for the iPod, iPhone and iPad.
Table of Contents: Guides and Tutorials
- Getting Started With iPhone Photography
- New & Noteworthy Apps
- 7 Essential Photo Apps
- Top Apps for Photo Effects, Filters and Post Processing
- Top Art Apps for Sketching, Painting and Applying Painterly Effects « You Are Here
- Designer's Toolbox. Top apps for designers. From gathering ideas, sketching, outlining and creating your design.
- Textures & Clipart. Sources for royalty free textures and clipart that are free to use.
- Accessories for your iPod, iPhone and iPad
- A Creative Business. Key resources I use for my creative business.